Satellite spots 122 possible objects in search

Malaysia's Defense Minister and acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein shows a printout of the latest satellite image of objects that might be from the missing Malaysia Airlines plane, at Putra World Trade Center in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Wednesday, March 26, 2014. Hishammuddin said the objects were seen close to where three other satellites previously detected objects. (AP Photo/Joshua Paul)
Malaysia’s Defense Minister and acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein shows a printout of the latest satellite image of objects that might be from the missing Malaysia Airlines plane, at Putra World Trade Center in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Wednesday, March 26, 2014. Hishammuddin said the objects were seen close to where three other satellites previously detected objects. (AP Photo/Joshua Paul)

PERTH, Australia — A satellite scanning the Indian Ocean for remnants of a missing jetliner found a possible plane debris field containing 122 objects, a top Malaysian official said Wednesday, calling it “the most credible lead that we have.”

Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said the objects were more than 2,500 kilometers (1,550 miles) southwest of Australia, near where other satellites previously detected objects. The objects ranged in length from one meter (yard) to 23 meters (25 yards).

Hishammuddin said the latest images were taken Sunday and relayed by French-based Airbus Defence and Space, a division of Europe’s Airbus Group; its businesses include the operation of satellites and satellite communications.

MORE COVERAGE OF MALAYSIA PLANE CRASH

Various floating objects have been spotted by planes and satellites over the last week, including on Wednesday, when the Australian Maritime Safety Authority sent a tweet saying three more objects had been spotted. The authority said two objects seen from a civil aircraft appeared to be rope, and that a New Zealand military plane spotted a blue object.

None of the objects were seen on a second pass, a frustration that has been repeated several times in the hunt for Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370, missing since March 8 with 239 people aboard. It remains uncertain whether the objects came from the plane or from something else, such as a cargo ship.

“If it is confirmed to be MH370, at least we can then we can move on to the next phase of deep sea survelliance search,” Hishammuddin said.


Four Chinese vessels on Wednesday arrived in the target area in the southern Indian Ocean where “suspicious objects” had been spotted in searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.

Chinese icebreaker Xuelong arrived in the morning in the area where Chinese airborne searchers spotted some suspicious objects on Monday.

Also, Chinese naval fleet consisting of supply ship Qiandaohu, missile destroyer Haikou and amphibious transport dock Kunlunshan arrived in the waters southwest of the Australian coast city of Perth.

The main task is searching for and salvaging airplane wreckage and the black box.

Meanwhile, three other vessels, Haixun 01, Nanhaijiu 115 and Donghaijiu 101, are currently en route .

On Wednesday, the desperate, multinational hunt resumed across a remote stretch of the Indian Ocean after fierce winds and high waves that had forced a daylong halt eased considerably.

A total of 12 planes and five ships from the United States, China, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand were participating in the search, hoping to find even a single piece of the Malaysia Airlines jet that could offer tangible evidence of a crash.

Malaysia announced earlier this week that a mathematical analysis of the final known satellite signals from the plane showed that it had crashed in the sea, killing everyone on board.

The new data greatly reduced the search zone, but it remains huge — an area estimated at 1.6 million square kilometers (622,000 square miles), about the size of Alaska.

Report compiled with information from  CCTV News and The Associated Press.